Linda Bruce, founder and co-author of the COOL TO BE ME Social Emotional Learning curriculum teamed up with E-Classroom and SACE to develop South Africa’s first on-line Social and Emotional Learning CPD course which addresses the ‘what’ and ‘why’ of Social Emotional Learning (SEL) and how it can be integrated into all aspects of school life: curriculum, teaching practice and classroom management.
SACE were so delighted with the results that they are awarding 45 CPD points to educators who complete all 8 modules, including videos with transcripts and a short quiz.
The six defined SEL competencies covered in the course are self-awareness, self-management, social-awareness, relationship skills, responsible decision-making and optimistic-thinking. The course offers easy-to-apply classroom management and learner development strategies, and includes the download of a COOL TO BE ME grade appropriate teachers manual.
SEL Delivers Benefits For Learners and Educators
Educators who engage in SEL training and proactively teach a broad-based SEL programme, can realistically expect to enjoy positive outcomes personally, in their classrooms and in the personal development of each learner emotionally, socially and academically.
The skills and knowledge gained through completing the course include:
- A clear understanding of the practice of SEL.
- An in depth understanding of each competency and how to integrate it into teacher practice, classroom management and learner development.
- Reflection on personal areas of strength and development with regards to each competency.
CPD Course Receives Excellent Feedback
The CPD course has been very well received will many schools signing up on a ‘whole-school’ basis, as well as individual educators and professionals taking the initiative. Feedback has been overwhelmingly positive, which is reflected in the comments below:
- The course taught me useful skills that I have been implementing all round with learners, co-educators and parents.
- I have more confidence addressing issues of a social or emotional nature with learners and parents.
- Easy to navigate, relevant and effective.
- I enjoyed the opportunity to reflect on my own ability.
- Course content grows more challenging as I progressed.
- This is not a ‘box-ticking’ CPD course – it is really useful.
- We completed the course as a phase and it really helped us establish an unified approach to SEL and collaborative values.
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Click on link to access the course: http://trainingteachers.org.za/courses/social-emotional-learning/