BUILDING BLOCKS is the COOL TO BE ME Foundation Phase programme designed to support the Life Skills subject in promoting the emotional and social development of children.
A Life-Skills programme for the Foundation Phase
This innovative Life-Skills programme explores a different, age-appropriate and developmental theme per grade.
- Grade 1: Feeling happy and safe
- Grade 2: Being confident and responsible
- Grade 3: Discovering my inner world
Storytelling as a vehicle for learning
Storytelling is the primary vehicle for communication and learning as it is, traditionally, the most effective way of passing on wisdom and life knowledge to a child.
Designed to support the National Curriculum
- The original BUILDING BLOCKS stories and their accompanying integration classes support the National Curriculum.
- The BUILDING BLOCKS programme utilises approximately 5 hours of the 60 hours per term allocated to Life Skills.
- BUILDING BLOCKS lessons are spread across personal and social well-being, physical education and creative arts, covering the important areas of art, cutting, fine-motor activities, fantasy play, music and singing and writing, as well as visual and auditory perception and memory.
Easy to implement
- Each one of the three themes is divided into four building blocks. A different building block is adopted and explored each term.
- Feeling happy and safe is divided into feelings, sharing, being kind and my circle of love and support.
- Being confident and responsible is divided into being truthful, being confident, being responsible and bouncing back.
- Discovering my inner world is divided into my body, my brain, intuition and personality and talents.
- The grade teacher is supported with a thoroughly resourced teacher’s manual, while the children work with a colourful workbook and four storybooks.
- The grade teacher introduces the theme through the story, it’s motto and a selection of integration classes.
- The BUILDING BLOCKS workbook and storybooks creatively promote family participation through family chats, family games and story reading.
- Stories are the gateway to learning in the BUILDING BLOCKS curriculum. These stories revolve around the adventures of Bru’Me, Musa Monkey, Sammy Squirrel and Thandi Tortoise and set the stage for all activities, games and discussions that follow. Often teachers and parents know what they need to tell and teach their children but struggle to find the words or situations that best present the ‘lesson’. Our original stories enable you to have meaningful conversations around truthfulness, confidence, kindness, responsibility and resilience that children can relate to.
- If your child is doing BUILDING BLOCKS at school they will receive their own set of storybooks to bring home to read with you. Reading these stories together will greatly assist you in the family chats and games that follow. To see summaries of the stories click here.
- If your child is not doing COOL TO BE ME at school you can still enjoy our stories and their benefits at home. Click here to buy a book.