COOL TO LEAD is a one-day leadership workshop created for Grade 7. The workshop helps children to explore the concept of ‘peer group leadership’.
What is “Peer group leadership”?
Peer group leadership is the ability of the peer group to create an environment of individuality, mutual respect and collaboration that allows for the fluid movement between members of the group stepping up to lead, or using their power to follow, depending on what type of characteristics and intelligence each situation requires.
This allows the peer group to create an environment that is supportive, fun, creative and effective. It enhances in children the ability to look beyond the ego and self and to understand that different circumstances require different roles and responsibilities from individuals.
Interactive and fun!
- Through fun, interactive games and discussions the workshop aims to teach the following important aspects of fluid leadership.
- Every individual possesses positive leadership characteristics and has the potential to develop others.
- Every individual is intelligent in a different way. Understanding how we are intelligent allows us to identify when and where we can lead.
- The most undervalued leader is the follower.
- The fluid transition of leadership within a group makes collaboration fun and effective.
- In order for Peet group leadership to work, we need to create an environment of mutual respect and appreciation.
We suggest that implementation of the workshop should follow on from the Grade 6 programme on Identity.
The workshop takes place on the school premises and is facilitated by trained COOL TO BE ME facilitators, supported by Grade 7 staff members.