This Grade 6 programme explores a crucial developmental challenge of this age group: Identity. Understanding and accepting one’s identity is essential for the healthy development of resilient self-esteem, self-worth and the fostering of mutual respect.
Implementation is based on experiential learning – children learning while doing. The experiential learning cycle aims to instil in children the capacity to experience, reflect, generalise and then apply to their everyday lives what they learn.
Themes of identity
Learners will get to consider and explore the following concepts – individually and in groups:
- Who am I?
- Why am I important?
- Why is everyone else important?
- How do I create my life?
- My choices in my generation.
Easy to implement and curriculum compliant
- COOL TO BE ME is a 12-hour programme.
- Teachers are supported with an easy to follow, thoroughly resourced teacher’s manual.
- A colourful, thought provoking journal encourages the children to integrate what has been learnt and reflect on their lives.
- Each chapter includes a family section that creatively involves parents in their child’s journey.
- The programme links directly with the aims of Life Skills as stated in the NCS and incorporates lessons for all study areas, Personal and Social Well-being in particular.